Thursday, August 21, 2008

7-Feb Adelie Penguins & Snow Petrels




7-Feb Adelie Penguins & Snow Petrels



It is hard to believe that we are now actually in the Antarctic. I had another three ‘firsts’ in my life over the last few days. On February 5, my first iceberg, February 6, when I knew we really were in the Antarctic, it had just hit home, and today, February 7, the first time I ever wore long Johns. Yes, it is bitterly cold down here at the moment and we have memelink history in the making.
Tonight I found an exciting new way to combat the problems of painting in watercolours in this completely dry atmosphere. My new method is to first draw the outline on the cotton paper, then soak the paper both sides. After letting the excess water drip off and dissipate, it leaves a beautiful damp surface to paint on.

Penguins appear on the ice islands we pass, but these ones don’t have the orange nicotine stain under their necks as I was expecting them to have, like the little film stars do in ‘March of The Penguins’. These are pure black and white with little white rings around their eyes.. I am informed that these are actually Adelie penguins not Emperor Penguins as I was expecting. Reading up about them later in my guide – it appears Adelie penguins were named after the wife of French explorer Dumont dUrville. Though I think they should actually be re‑named Butler penguins, they have a habit of standing around on a piece of ice in their white suites and little black dinner jackets. They look up at us like bewildered butlers ready to announce that dinner is served and with their arms flapping behind them as if they are freshening their armpits. Some of the penguins look like they have dipped themselves in syrup and then dived into a vacuum cleaner dust bag; they are half covered in grey fluff. I guess these must be the young ones. This breed of penguins actually have a special claim to fame - they are the breed that feature in Bluebird Chips ads.

Adults also like to play a harsh sort of chasing game with the kids, They prefer the kids to chase them for the food that they bring home for them, this way food is not wasted on any weak or unhealthy kids.

Around lunchtime we passed a lazy sea leopard on his blood soaked piece of pack ice – he looked like he was having an after lunch nap – he probably one of the “butler” penguins I think.

Saw a beautiful pure white seabird flying alongside the ship this afternoon and discover that they are called snow petrels. Beautiful white plumage with a black beak and black feet. Later I saw a few more gliding over the pack ice and blending in gracefully and adding to the calm. One of the scientists on board, Chazz Marriott, is a brilliant photographer and has so far uploaded some magnificent photos of seabirds onto the ships shared digital photo album. One is of a snow petrel flying low over an iceberg ,the soft shadow it casts over the snowy surface makes for a prize winning photograph.

It has been snowing all day and I discovered the design of a snowflake today. The forward portholes of my cabin are sloping. I watch the snowflakes land on the window and grab my glasses and discover that it is all true; each snowflake has amazing and different geometric designs.

No comments: